Immigration Attorneys Serving Clients Nationwide

What are the different types of employment visas in California?

On Behalf of | Nov 11, 2021 | immigration |

The United States issues employment visas for both temporary and permanent workers. There is a long list of visas that exist to address varying needs. You shouldn’t be quick to let go of your desire to work in the U.S. because there could be a type of visa that meets your situation.

B-1 visa

B-1 visas are for short-term business trips to the U.S. They typically last for one to six months with the possibility of a six-month extension. It’s rare for a B-1 visa to last for more than one year. Immigration law recognizes settling an estate and attending a convention as business travel.

J visa

If you’re in a work- or study-based program, you could apply for a J visa. Examples of programs that count include interns, au pairs, trainees and camp counsellors. Dependents of a J-1 visa could apply for a J-2 visa. In order to receive a J visa, you need to be proficient in English.

M visa

Students of vocational and recognized non-academic institutions have the option of applying for an M visa. The family of the M-1 visa holder could receive an M-2 visa. Canadian and Mexican students who need to commute in the U.S. could receive an M-3 visa.

Permanent workers

If you want a visa to permanently work in the U.S., you may need an EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-4 or EB-5 visa. Family members may also obtain a visa to stay in the U.S. with them. The type of labor you do and what level of degree you have determines which permanent worker visa you can get.

EB-1 is for business professionals, artists, athletes, scientists, researchers and academics. Their family may apply for E-14 or E-15 visas. With a bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent, you could apply for EB-3 immigration status.

There are many different ways that you may be able to immigrate to the U.S. whether you want to be in the country temporarily or permanently. Make sure that you understand all of the eligibility requirements and rules.