Immigration Attorneys Serving Clients Nationwide

Do you want to live in the U.S. permanently? Get a sponsor

On Behalf of | Apr 3, 2020 | Uncategorized |

Your loved ones have been living in the United States, but you haven’t made an effort to come yet. Your children went when they were in their 20s, and they’ve asked you to come to live with them. Now in your 50s, you’re worried that you won’t be able to get the visa that you need.

Fortunately, there are family visas for situations like yours. To come to the United States and live permanently, you will need to obtain an immigrant visa (IV). To get this visa, you’re going to need someone to sponsor you. This should be an immediate relative who is 21 or older. At the time of your application, your sponsor must be a U.S. citizen or green card holder.

What is an immediate relative?

Usually, immediate relatives are spouses, children or parents. If you are a spouse, parent or child of a U.S. citizen or lawful resident, then you will be pleased to know that there is no limit on those who can come to the U.S. each year in this category.

What if your sponsor isn’t an immediate relative?

There is a limitation on nonimmediate family members who can come to the United States through sponsorship. U.S. citizens can file an immigrant visa petition for parents, siblings, children or spouses. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents are more restricted. They may only seek an immigrant visa for unmarried children or their own spouses.

If your child is now a U.S. citizen or has married one, you’ll have a good chance of being able to come to the U.S. as well. Your attorney can walk you through the forms that you will need to file to come to the country.